We are hiring an Office Administrator!
St Stephen the Martyr Anglican Church in Burnaby near Lougheed Mall is seeking a permanent, part-time Office Administrator. The position is responsible for general office management of the church, including providing general secretarial/clerical support to our parish priest and volunteers. The Office Administrator also coordinates the booking of the hall and other meeting spaces. The ideal candidate brings skills in communications, including electronic and print writing, editing and proofreading. Bookkeeping skills are an asset. As the position is often the first contact people have with the church, a friendly, welcoming personality is essential.
- A minimum of 2 years experience working as an office administrator.
- Superior organizational skills, setting priorities and meeting deadlines
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Commitment to confidentiality and discretion
- Excellent interpersonal skills; welcoming and willing to enact our congregation’s mission and values
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (including editing and proofreading)
- Attention to detail; able to multi-task
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, E-mail, use of social media & internet technologies
- An appropriate criminal record check
The starting salary will be commensurate with experience and education. The position is 20 hours per week with a current “norm” of a 9:30-1:30 workday, Monday to Friday. Some flexibility in schedule may be possible for the right candidate. We are hoping for a mid-October start date.
Please email your resume in .PDF format to: email@example.com, along with an informal cover letter in the body of the email.
Deadline for applications is September 20, 2018. A full position description is below.
Full Position Description: Office Administrator
Purpose: The Parish Administrator is responsible for general office management of the church; bookkeeping; assists the Parish Priest and Wardens with secretarial work/clerical work; and, supports parish leaders. The position is often the first contact people have with the church.
- Greet visitors to the church during office hours, answering the telephone, and checking/responding to the voicemail.
- Distribute postal mail, route incoming emails, and respond to general email inquiries. Provides mail services, collating outgoing mail (may request volunteer help for stuffing, addressing and stamping large mail outs).
- Type correspondence and reports for Priest, Wardens and others.
- Assist Parish Priest in scheduling meetings and pastoral visits.
- Maintains church office administration files
- Order and purchase office supplies and other miscellaneous items.
- Care for the photocopier and request maintenance through existing service plan, in consultation with the Parish Priest and Wardens.
- Prepares Agenda for Parish Council Meetings.
- Collect information for and assemble the Annual Vestry Report.
- Maintains Parishioner lists with contact information
- Maintains office calendar of church and hall events, updating bulletin boards
- Maintains and completes designated sections of Registers- forwards to priest in charge for signatures: Death, marriage, Baptism, Confirmation registers
- Prepares and records documents for diocesan Anglican Archives
- Prepares and distributes weekly worship bulletins, compiling information from BAS, hymn lists, internet resources and Cycle of Prayer; maintains permanent file copy of weekly bulletins and/or special bulletins e.g.: weddings, funerals, and significant church celebrations
- Maintains parish prayer lists, including managing incoming prayer requests.
- Prepares, distributes and maintains schedules for readers, intercessors, lay administrators, sides persons, coffee hosts and counters
- Arrange advertising as requested.
- Acts as liaison between priest, church officers and parishioners
- Updates the Parish website and parish social media accounts under the direction of the priest and wardens.
Bookkeeping and Other Record Keeping
- Receives and processes money from various sources, responsible for bank deposits, handles petty cash for small parish purchases, keeps accurate records
- Receives invoices and processes for payment, prepares cheque requisitions and writes cheques after authorization
- Appropriately codes revenue and expenses and posts to computerized accounting system
- Prepares financial statements for church committee meetings as requested
- Prepares and posts routine and year end journal entries as necessary and if directed by the treasurer
- Supports the work of the Treasurer as necessary
- Supports the Volunteer Parish Envelope Secretary as necessary. This includes occasional recording of offerings and other receiptable donations; preparing offering statements and distributing quarterly, preparing tax receipts and distributing them according to CRA requirements
- Follow up on all rental inquiries
- Advertise available space as instructed by the Wardens and Priest
- Meet with potential user group representatives to discuss available space, rental policies, and fees
- In consultation with the Wardens and Priest and using an approved fee scale, set fees for user groups
- For special events and one-time user groups
- Ensure a current rental agreement and insurance package have been signed
- Ensure a site host has been assigned to provide access and re-secure the building.
- For on-going programs
- Ensure all user groups have current rental agreements and insurance information is on file in the church office
- Ensure all user groups have building access and have been instructed in security procedures
- Ensure the Parish Office has a current list of all user group contacts (phone and email/mail for legal notice)
- Act as the liaison between all user groups and the Parish.
- Inform user groups of Parish information such as special services or building work that impacts a user group’s use of the building.
- Answer questions and concerns from user groups and communicate back to Parish leadership issues that need to be addressed.
- Assist user groups in negotiating issues which may come up between them
- Maintain regular contact with Wardens and Priest
- Coordinates key distribution to building users.
- Provides building access to outside building maintenance contractors during office hours.
- Maintain general tidiness of office area.
- Additional tasks as assigned.